Google Ad Manager is Google’s platform to grow ad revenue from your site. To start with Google Ad Manager, you will need need to sign up for a Google AdSense account.
Please check out this site for support information for Google Ad Manager.
Setting up Google Ad Manager
To set up Google Adsense on your Newspack site, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Dashboard > Newspack > Advertising.
- Under the Ad Providers tab, toggle on the Google Ad Manager option:
- Click the Configure that appears in the Google Ad Manager section.
Connecting your Google Ad Manager account
Newspack can connect directly to your Ad Manager Account.
Using a Service Account
If you have a Service Account connected to your GAM account, its credentials (a .json file) can be uploaded to the site using the “Connect your GAM account” button:
After uploading the credentials file, you’ll see the list of the ad units, as they are defined in GAM:
Creating Ad Units
Click on the Add ad unit button to create a new ad unit:
After assigning a name and sizes, click Save – the ad unit will be create in your GAM account.
Editing Ad Units
On the ad units list, you can toggle the active state of any ad unit using the toggle next to the ad unit name. Ad units can be archived by clicking the trash icon, and edited by clicking the pen icon:
In this view, you can change the ad unit name and edit the sizes.
Manual (legacy) flow
- Insert your Network Code in the input displayed on top. Your Network Code can be found in the upper left corner of your Google Ad Manager dashboard (click here for more detailed instructions for finding this code):
- Click Save to save your Network Code.
Next, you will need to create Ad Units to use the ads on your site.
Creating Ad Units
Once you’ve set up the Google Ad Manager, you can create Individual Ad Units by following these steps:
- Click on the Add an ad unit button.
- In a separate tab or window, go to your Google Ad Manager account and navigate to Inventory > Ad Units.
- Choose the ad you want, and copy the Code field for that ad.
- Return to the Ad Wizard and Newspack, and paste the Code you copied into the Ad unit code field:
- Give the ad a name in the Ad unit name field — this name will be used to identify the ad in the Newspack interface; if no name is given, the Ad unit code will be used instead.
- Use the Width and Height fields to add a size for the ad; you can also click the Add Size button to add multiple sizes.
- Once you’re finished configuring your ad, click Save. Your ad will now appear on the ad units list, using its unit name if provided, or unit code:
- To add another Ad Unit, click Ad an ad unit, and start again at step one above. Otherwise, click Back to advertising options to return to the main Advertising wizard.
Displaying Ad Units on the site
You can add an Ad Unit to the site by adding it to one of the pre-defined ad placements, by using the Newspack Ad Block, or by using the Newspack Ad Unit widget.
Google Ad Manager
Advertising Table of Contents