If you’re using WordPress’s default commenting, the Newspack Themes includes some options to customize them.
When using WordPress’s default commenting, you can optionally collapse those comments by default so they take up less space on the page. Interested visitors can open the comments with a single click of a button.
To set your site’s comments to be collapsed by default, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Customize > Comments Settings.
- Check the Collapse Comments checkbox:
- Click Publish.
On articles with more than one comment, the comments section will now be displayed as collapsed by default:
Visitors can click the “Expand comments” button to open the comments section, and click the “Collapse comments” button to close them again.
Add a Comment Policy
To help guide the discussion on your site, you can add a text policy that will appear with the WordPress comment form. This can include plain text, simple formatting like bold and italics, and links.
To add a comment policy to your website, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Customize > Comments Setting; there should be an option to Display comment policy, and a text field, labelled Comment policy text:
- Add your text to the Comment policy text field. If you would like to use special formatting (bold and italics), or links, you will need to use HTML:
- Check the Display comment policy checkbox, and click Update.
The text you have entered in the Comment policy text box should now being displayed above your comment form:
- Post Settings
- Author Bios
- Date Options
- Previous and Next links
- Yoast Primary Category
Theme Table of Contents