Email newsletters are probably the best vehicle for building audience and becoming a predictable presence in your readers’ lives. Use the following steps to combine Newspack functionality and add a Mailchimp newsletter sign-up call-to-action throughout your site.
Connect Mailchimp to your site
Use the Engagement Wizard in Newspack to connect your Mailchimp account to your website by following these steps here.
Create a campaign prompt using Newspack Patterns
- If you haven’t already, navigate to Dashboard > Newspack > Campaigns and install and activate the Newspack Campaigns plugin.
- When using the Campigns plugin, you can create a variety of different campaigns targeting different audiences, and different prompts that appear to each of those campaigns. For the sake of simplicity, in this example we’re going to create a prompt that appears to everyone, regardless of segment. To create that prompt, navigate to Newspack > Campaigns and click Add New Prompt.
- Select the positioning of your prompt from the options available — this can be changed again when editing the prompt:
- Give your prompt a title.
- Click the + icon in the top left corner, then click the Patterns tab to see a list of the different pattern types available on your site. Some come from WordPress itself — like Featured, Buttons, Columns — and others come from Newspack. Select Newspack Subscribe. You can also click Explore to see larger previews of each pattern.
- From there, you will be able to pick from 10 different starter patterns for your subscription call to action. Click on the images below to get a closer look at the different patterns, paired with different prompt placements:
- Once you’ve picked your starting pattern, you can customize your prompt further by updating the text and images!
Set your pop-up’s display settings
- Click the cog icon in the top-right corner, and click the Document tab:
- Click on the Prompt Settings panel to open its main settings.
- Choose your pop-up’s Placement, and fine tune the exact appearance after picking Inline or Overlay:
- You can adjust other pop-up options listed here to customize it further.
- Publish your pop-up to save all the changes.
If your site is set to AMP-standard mode, once a visitor signs up for a Newsletter, they will no longer see the pop-up asking them to do so, making sure you’re only targeting the folks who have not signed up yet.
Adding inline newsletter signups
Recipes Table of Contents