Sizes for images across the Newspack theme and blocks.
- Dimensions: Images uploaded to Newspack sites should be 1200 px wide minimum and 2560 px wide maximum. Especially for images wider than 2100 px, your goal in editing images should be to reduce image size while maintaining quality.
- File Size: The file size for images you upload to your site should be in the range of kilobytes (KB). Ideally, images should be smaller than 2 MB, up to no more than 5 MB max, to display correctly on social-media platforms.
- Color Profile: Make sure images are saved in an RGB color profile for the web before uploading, to ensure best display.
- Format/File Type: Please save images as JPGs whenever possible. We do not recommend using PNGs in most cases, because by default, PNGs aren’t optimized like other image file types served via WordPress’ CDN. Such files can impact site performance and introduce display issues on social media.
- Social Media: By default, the featured image on a post or page will be used for the social media image when a link to that content is shared. See the WordPress.com guidance for social images for more details on specific social-media platforms.
- ‘newspack-featured-image’, 1200 wide;
- is not cropped vertically – used at the top of single posts and pages but may be scaled via CSS (eg. if you use the ‘small’ image size setting, it’s scaled down; if you use the featured image behind setting, it’s scaled up on larger screens).
- ‘newspack-archive-image’, 800×600
- used for all but the first large post on archive pages, for search results and for the ‘blog’ archives
- ‘newspack-archive-image-large’, 1200×900
- used for the larger first post on archive pages.
Homepage Posts block
The block will try to crop specific image shapes if you pick landscape, portrait, or square, but if the images are smaller than that, it’ll go down to the next size. If the original images are all quite large, it will always pick the first size.The sizes are:
- newspack-article-block-landscape-large – 1200×900
- newspack-article-block-landscape-medium – 800×600
- newspack-article-block-landscape-small – 400×300
- newspack-article-block-landscape-tiny – 200×150
- newspack-article-block-portrait-large – 900×1200
- newspack-article-block-portrait-medium – 600×800
- newspack-article-block-portrait-small – 300×400
- newspack-article-block-portrait-tiny – 150×200
- newspack-article-block-square-large – 1200×1200
- newspack-article-block-square-medium – 800×800
- newspack-article-block-square-small – 400×400
- newspack-article-block-square-tiny – 200×200
- ‘newspack-article-block-uncropped’ = scaled to 1200px wide; does not crop or change the height. Smaller images will use their original size.
- uses the ‘large’ image size, as defined by the site under WP Admin ? Settings ? Media.
- By default this is 1024×1024, but it can be edited on a per-site basis.
- this block does let you set an image aspect ratio, but rather than loading a fully-new image size, it will use CSS to create the shape for the aspect-ratio, and style the image to fit it
- Newspack Theme
- Newspack Joseph
- Newspack Katharine
- Newspack Nelson
- Newspack Sacha
- Newspack Scott
- Switching themes
Theme Table of Contents